The funding instrument INTERREG was set up by the European Union in 1991 to promote cooperation between neighbouring regions along the EU’s internal and external borders. The GADOW - German and Danish Offshore Wind – project is financed by the INTERREG 4A Syddanmark-Schleswig-K.E.R.N. 2007-2013 programme with funds from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF). On the German side, the area eligible for funding includes the cities of Flensburg, Neumünster and Kiel, as well as the districts of Schleswig- Flensburg, North Frisia and Rendsburg-Eckernförde. On the Danish side, it includes the Syddanmark region.
The aim of the funding programme is to support and strengthen integration between the two bordering regions through networks, joint ventures and activities. The GADOW project is listed under Priority 2: “Development of framework conditions in the area” with the objective of ensuring the sustainable development of nature, the environment and energy in the region.
The following activities are carried out within the scope of the GADOW project:
- Assessment of the offshore wind energy sector’s requirements
- Assessment of the current situation at all ports serving the offshore wind farms
- Assessment of offshore research findings
- Assessment of the need for further academic training in the offshore wind energy industry
- Creation of a network for the offshore wind energy sector
- Implementation of public relations measures
The project will run until the end of 2014. Two Danish and two German partners are working on these issues, supported by seven partners from trade and industry, all participating in the project without being financially responsible for it. The lead partner is FuE-Zentrum FH Kiel GmbH (the research and development centre at Kiel University of Applied Sciences).
You can find out more about the INTERREG 4A programme at www.interreg4a.de.